Introducing Flat Out: Rickshaw Rally…From Bangladesh to China, from India to South Africa, rickshaws are a common mode of transport around the world. In the past (and still in some parts of the world), rickshaws were used to transport the social elite. Today however, they are being transformed: from Pedicabs on the streets of London to the crazy, death-defying adventure known as ‘The Rickshaw Run’, rickshaws have been described as “more fun than any other vehicle on planet earth”. Flat Out: Rickshaw Rally is a comical, hyped-up caper that introduces all the joys of the humble rickshaw to your team. Laughing and cheering, your teams will compete to construct a life-size, cardboard model of one of the world’s most original modes of transport. Not only must their rickshaws withstand everyday bumps and bashes but they must also be sturdy enough to cope with fee paying clients jumping in and out! A wobbly wheel or a poorly constructed canopy could cost your teams dearly. In an inspiring challenge that combines the skills of creativity and communication, your teams must pull together, knowing full well that teamwork, managing deadlines and an ability to share ideas will be the real winners! Flat Out: Rickshaw Rally is a fun experience that brings out the best in your people, encouraging ingenuity, cooperation and good-natured competitiveness.
What will happen during Flat Out: Rickshaw Rally?
- Working from detailed construction plans, each of your teams will be asked to combine their talents to turn a ‘flat-pack’ kit of materials into the ultimate, cardboard, human-powered vehicle.
- Their rickshaws must be sturdy, road worthy and capable of transporting two anxious ‘clients’ across our bustling city and back.
- With the everyday fervour of city life, much can go wrong, so adaptations and modifications will be encouraged throughout.
- Once they have built their creations, your teams must decorate their rickshaws with flowers, garlands and a little bit of ‘Bollywood Bling’ to attract paying clientele.
- In a grand crescendo, the event will conclude with a time-trialled, obstacle course pursuit that simulates the delivery and collection of important clients from one end of a busy city to the other.
Learning and development outcomes
Teamwork, resourcefulness and excellent communication skills are required to turn a flat pack of materials into a Rickshaw. With a good understanding of the end goal and by forming sub-teams and working in parallel, this complex project can be broken down to keep the whole team working effectively to complete the project. There is also plenty of creativity required to decorate the Rickshaw. Finally, effective strategic planning and role allocation lead to a successful race.