Introducing River Runner…Taking the thrills and spills of white-water rafting, River Runner brings all the aspects of managing an adventure company to your conference or corporate programme as a motivational and thought-provoking indoor business game. Mounting a river expedition and seeing it through to a successful completion is a careful balance of research, client satisfaction, safety and profit. River Runner will require quick and efficient team management to gather vital information and a flexible approach to take advantage of the unexpected events and additional information that is encountered downstream. Time is of the essence but research and planning will be essential to gaining the kudos of being the first to successfully run the river. Providing excitement and entertainment, River Runner demonstrates that effective planning and strategy implementation are as essential to success as energy and teamwork. River Runner also provides endless opportunity for review on issues such as problem solving, customer satisfaction, risk management and leadership. Not only that but as an experience that simulates a commercial business operating in an environmentally sensitive environment, River Runner may be specially tailored to explore ethical issues such as community liaison, conservation, responsible practice, resource management and the socio-ecomonic impact of tourism on a fragile economy. Why not challenge your team to run the river today?
What will happen during River Runner?
- Each of your teams will work as a rafting company that must mount an expedition down one of the world’s greatest and most challenging rivers.
- Whilst your participants have no chance of getting soaked, they will be supplied with full-sized rafts, paddles, life-vests and all manner of vital expedition equipment.
- Spectacular video footage will also provide a real backdrop to set the scene for the exciting journey ahead.
- After a brief introduction, your teams will be given time to plan.
- During this period they must decide on their strategy, taking into consideration their transportation to the head of the river, food allocation, weather conditions, safety aspects and their actual journey down the river.
- Skill videos will be available for individual team members to watch. These will help your teams to deal with any unforeseen obstacles along the way.
- As they run the river from town to river source, each team must achieve a balance between being the first team to the finish and the quality of their customer service achieved by satisfying demanding clients.
- Maintaining a clean safety record will also be as important as showing a profit for their intrepid efforts.
- After their epic journey, your teams will take a short break, during which time their scores will be collected.
- Finally, the winning team will be announced and the key learnings summarised.
Learning and development outcomes
Concealed within the game structure is the requirement to understand the nature of customer satisfaction – both how to value it and how to achieve it. During the planning and execution stages, teams are deliberately supplied with more information than any one person can deal with, so effective information management is crucial in creating the best outcome for clients. Participants are also required to balance the budget, to ensure the best customer experience is delivered while remaining profitable.