Introducing Trading Post…Trading Post is a fast-moving, gripping and highly immersive business game in which information is power, negotiation is a valued skill and trust is paramount. Set in the lawless Wild West town of Dodge City during the 1860s, Trading Post is centred in a time of great opportunity for the wise and quick-witted but a place of potential disaster for the unwary and ill-informed. It is a clever and valuable experience that reinforces the principles that trust, networking and relationships are vital for any business to succeed. Easy to understand but a real challenge to play, Trading Post is particularly effective at bringing people together and breaking down barriers. As an icebreaker, conference interlude or pre- or post-dinner team event, Trading Post is extremely versatile and motivational. It can also be fully themed to enhance a Wild West atmosphere: add some ranch food, costumes and line-dancing and Trading Post becomes the centrepiece of a hot-diggetty, Wild West themed event that will put the ‘yee-haw’ into any conference!
What will happen during Trading Post?
- Each of your teams will become a family riding into town with just the few possessions they could cram into their wagon: horses, cattle, whisky, beads, gold, leather, money and most importantly some valuable information.
- Cowboy hats and bandanas will be provided for your teams to experience the full thrill of the Wild West.
- Each team’s goal will be to maximise the value of their possessions over the four years they are in Dodge.
- After a short introduction, the trading will begin and the action will quickly build to what will become a frenzy of Wild West proportions.
- By using their information, your teams will be able to build relationships to trade with other families, negotiating with them to make as much money as possible.
- At the end of each ‘year’, your teams must all return to their respective wagons where a payout on certain goods will be made and families will have the chance to share knowledge and assess their strategies.
- To be successful, Trading Post requires more than earning a quick buck.
- It will take ruthless negotiation, effective networking, creative thinking and strategic planning for one of your teams to become the richest family in Dodge City!
Learning and development outcomes
A quick and clever activity where teams negotiate and trade to maximise their returns. Although this is a competitive exercise, the most successful teams are those that collaborate with others to build win-win outcomes while at the same time focussing on their own bottom line results. During a review process, winning strategies are shared and pertinent learnings are applied to the workplace.