Introducing Flat Out: Formula 1Although F1 drivers remain the public face of the sport, Formula 1 is the ultimate example of teamwork in action. From testing to pit stop logistics, from race strategy to driver fitness everyone is involved and the actions of any one team member can make the difference between winning or losing that all important podium position. Flat Out: Formula 1 tests the communication skills, collaboration and resourcefulness of your team as they construct the ultimate model kit - an almost full-scale Formula 1 racing car! Aerodynamics, traction control, suspension and other key areas can all be accounted for in your car’s construction and factors such as race strategy, pit stop tactics and human horsepower will be vital in the final Grand Prix. Flat Out: Formula 1 is an exciting experience that brings out the best in your teams, encouraging planning, cooperation and good-natured competitiveness. It really is the ultimate team test, where working effectively and efficiently means milliseconds: the difference between the podium and the pits!
What will happen during Flat Out: Formula 1?
- Working from detailed construction plans, each of your F1 teams will be asked to rally their collective skills to turn a ‘flat-pack’ kit of materials into a supreme ‘cardboard fibre’ driving machine.
- Aiming for maximum speed, they will also need to mobilise their team to achieve human horsepower.
- As in reality, much can go wrong, so testing and modification will be a vital process throughout.
- Your teams will also need to practise grid starts and pit stop changes as these are the vital moments at which the race can be won or lost.
- Once construction is complete, your F1 teams are encouraged to decorate their cars with brand advertising, corporate messages and company values.
- Prior to the grand finale, grid positions will be determined with a series of heats.
- The moment of truth then finally arrives: all teams will compete in a supercharged Grand Prix as the lights flash and the teams race towards the chequered flag!
Learning and development outcomes
Only by forming sub-teams and working in parallel can the incredible creations of Flat Out F1 be achieved. With a good understanding of the end goal, this complex project can be broken down to keep the whole team productive and efficient with everyone’s efforts being essential for a successful build. There is plenty of creativity with ‘pimping’ of the cars, and practise makes perfect as the final race is won or lost in the pit stop.