Introducing Bean Around The World…Remember when there were just two kinds of coffee - black or white? Now coffee has become a must-have lifestyle accessory as consumers demand an ever-widening range of flavours and options from an increasingly competitive choice of outlets and brands. From Kenya to the Caribbean, and from Brazil to Borneo, to succeed in the coffee business takes exceptional market intelligence and extraordinary customer service. Bean Around The World challenges your teams to take up the role of coffee trader as they buy coffee from their suppliers, trade with other syndicates and then sell at a profit to the ever-fickle consumer. This interactive and competitive game captures the essence of new economy teams and focuses on issues such as balancing short-term tactics against long-term strategies. It also considers the power of information, the need for risk management, win-win negotiation and the challenge of managing supplier and customer needs within a complex supply chain. Bean Around The World will stimulate and energise your conference or corporate programme by generating fresh ideas and approaches to business. Add a review and analysis session and you have the perfect pick-me-up to promote and build commitment and customer focus. What better way to introduce a well-earned coffee break?!
What will happen during Bean Around The World?
- Each of your teams will become a coffee trader, complete with trading hats and coffee samples. Twelve teams will together form four syndicates (three teams in each syndicate).
- At the beginning of the first ‘year’ of trading, the customer’s coffee blend requirements will be displayed and your teams must make their purchases.
- When the coffee Sales Desk closes, your teams will then have chance to start trading amongst themselves.
- The Customer’s Desk will open as the year draws to a close and your teams must sell their blends – hopefully at a profit!
- As the second year begins, the cycle will be repeated; however, an urgent coffee crisis will also manifest and an auction will take place to bring required coffee supplies into the market.
- During the third year, the coffee blend requirements will be delayed, forcing your teams to think creatively under pressure.
- For the last time, the Customer’s Desk will open and your teams must rush to sell.
- Finally, the syndicates will combine their cash and size up the score ready for winners to be announced and prizes awarded.
Learning and development outcomes
This team building intervention has been carefully constructed to break down silo mentality and ensure collaboration between teams working to a common goal. Participants experience changing market forces, build supply chains ,and develop their understanding of customer requirements. Bean Around the World clearly reveals the importance of information gathering, adaptive behaviour and understanding markets and commodity values. Teams are both buying and selling to maximise their reward, experiencing both sides of the customer equation.